About Effen Vodka
Vodka is known for being the most tasteless, colorless, and nose-less of spirits, but that doesn’t mean it’s devoid of creativity. Many who love vodka would argue that the blank slate if offers leaves more room for imagination, both in flavored vodka distillation and in cocktail mixology. Effen is a pioneer of this idea, producing vodka using unique practices for the creative spirit.
Effen is a Dutch vodka brand, known for its intensely smooth flavor and unique distillation process and creative, patented techniques. But while the brand is progressive in its approach to new products and marketing, the recipe itself dates back over 100 years.
Effen’s distillery, Hooghoudt Distillery, perfected the original recipe in 1888 when Dutch baker Hero Jan Hooghoudt discovered how to distill grain into alcohol. While he passed away shortly after perfecting his recipe, the distillery remained strong, continuing the distillation of vodka to this day.
In the early 2000’s, when Constellation Brands acquired the rights to the vodka, they handed the recipe over to a group of skilled bartenders who refined the recipe into one worthy of the name “Effen” (Dutch for “smooth”). The goal was to fine-tune a historic recipe for a modern audience, marrying vodka tradition with a current palate, resulting in this super-premium vodka.
How Effen is Made
Effen’s processes are patented, meaning it’s the only vodka in the world distilled the way it’s distilled. With a 100% French wheat base, Effen is first vacuum-distilled at low temperatures, preventing even a possibility of caramelization. This is the first step that differentiates Effen’s impeccably smooth flavor from other wheat vodkas.
After distillation, Effen is charcoal filtered for maximum purity. Using a bottom-up technique, Hooghaudt Distillery prevents air channel formation and ensures optimal contact between active and liquid carbon, all of which contribute to the smooth flavor and texture of Effen.
Where to Buy Effen Vodka
Effen is a fairly accessible vodka, available at most retailers who have a generous vodka selection. If your market, like Costco or Walmart, has a large vodka section, you’re all but sure to find Effen there. And most liquor stores carry the brand. To ensure stock near you, try searching your zip code on Drizly.com for Effen vodka.
Effen Vodka Prices
|French Wheat Vodka|
|Effen Vodka||40% (80 proof)||50ml||$1.40|
|Effen Pride 365||40% (80 proof)||50ml||$1.40|
|Flavored French Wheat Vodka|
|Effen Black Cherry||37.5% (75 proof)||50ml||$1.40|
|Effen Blood Orange||37.5% (75 proof)||50ml||$1.40|
|Effen Cucumber||37.5% (75 proof)||50ml||$1.40|
|Effen Green Apple||37.5% (75 proof)||50ml||$1.40|
|Effen Raspberry||37.5% (75 proof)||50ml||$1.40|
|Effen Rose||37.5% (75 proof)||50ml||$1.40|
|Effen Yuzu Citrus||37.5% (75 proof)||50ml||$1.40|
Effen Vodka Buying Guide
Effen produces two lines of vodka: the original Effen wheat vodka and Effen flavored vodkas. Here’s a basic description of the difference between the two so you can choose the Effen that’s best for you.
This vodka is produced using Effen’s signature recipe and patented distillation and filtration systems. Using 100% French wheat and 100% Dutch distilling techniques, Effen produces this exceptionally clean, smooth, pure top shelf vodka. This vodka is available in the original packaging as well as a bespoke LGBTQ pride bottle.
Effen has 7 permanent flavored vodkas in their lineup. These crisply flavored vodkas use all natural ingredients to produce flavors with a punch, perfect for chilled vodka shots and to use as a base for a flavored cocktail. If you enjoy natural flavors, these might be the best for you, especially if you like the idea of making cocktails simpler to mix.
The Best Way(s) to Drink Effen
Effen’s crystal clear flavor makes it easy for mixing. Here are some of the best cocktails and single mixers to enjoy Effen vodka.
- 1 part EFFEN Cucumber Vodka
- 2 parts lemon lime soda
- Splash of lime juice
- Tajin® Clasico Seasoning
- Cucumber wheel
Rim a glass with Tajin® seasoning. Mix the vodka, lemon lime soda and fresh lime juice over ice. Garnish with a cucumber wheel
2) Cucumber Sweet and Sour
- 1.5 part EFFEN Cucumber Vodka
- 0.75 parts Freshly squeezed lime juice
- 0.5 parts Maraschino liqueur
- 4 fresh kiwi wheels, peeled
- 2 spoons of sugar
- 1 kiwi wheel with skin on
Muddle 4 peeled kiwi wheels. Add the rest of the ingredients and shake vigorously for 7-8 seconds. Leaving the mix unstrained, pour into a rocks or old-fashioned lowball glass. Garnish with a kiwi wheel.
3) Summer Punch
- 1.5 part EFFEN Vodka
- 0.75 parts DeKuyper Watermelon Liqueur
- 1 parts Lemon juice
- 1 parts Simple syrup
Chill a punch bowl in the refrigerator for 10-20 minutes. Mix all the ingredients together in a punch bowl over lots of fresh ice and stir. Garnish your punch glasses with lemon peel and a watermelon cube.
4) Black Cherry-Misu
- 1.5 part EFFEN Black Cherry Vodka
- 0.75 parts White Crème de Cacao
- 2 parts Heavy cream
- 1 parts Fresh chilled espresso
- Chocolate shavings
Combine all ingredients in a tall mixing glass and shake with ice. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with chocolate shavings.
5 Best Things to Mix with Effen Vodka
- Tonic: If you’re a fan of the savory, mineral flavors of tonic, Effen is a perfect pairing thanks to its clarity. It won’t compete with Tonic and will provide an almost undetectable alcoholic base to the mixer.
- Pickle juice: Effen has a crisp, clear flavor and nose, perfect for pairing with pickle juice for a simple summer sipper.
- Soda water: Add soda water to Effen with a slice of fruit for the most refreshing summer cocktail out there.
- Kombucha: Kombucha is a health drink, but pair it with pure, crisp Effen for an added kick while the kombucha balances out any negative gut effects of the ethanol.
- Iced tea: Tea can be a complex flavor on its own, so it’s perfect for a base like Effen that won’t compete. You can use any iced tea from black tea to a fruity iced tea with Effen vodka for a refreshing beverage in a tall rocks glass.
Alternatives to Effen Vodka
- Xdar Wheat Vodka- $10: To get the taste of wheat vodka for half the price, try Xdar Wheat Vodka. But instead of Dutch, this Ukrainian recipe is based on the traditions of Eastern European vodka-making.
- Kopper Garden Vodka- $17: A bit more affordable than Effen, but still all Dutch, Kopper Garden is named for the copper pot stills used in its distillation.
- Ketel One Vodka- $20: Ketel One is very comparable to Effen in that it’s a Dutch vodka and comes in around the same price point. But instead of pure and clean, it has light, sweet citrus flavor.
- East London Liquor Company British Wheat Vodka- $29: Britain is known for its gin, but they also know how to do wheat vodka right. This top shelf wheat vodka is smooth, soft, and well rounded with a full body.
- Polugar Wheat and Rye Vodka- $44: Polugar is a Russian bread vodka. It contains wheat like Effen, but try this if you are interested in exploring how different grains affect vodka flavor as the rye in this blend tastes sharper.