About Pyrat Rum
Pyrat Rum is branded on quality mixed with a bit of fun, and this pervades every aspect from packaging to price point to sipping experience. A subsidiary of Patron, LLC and produced by Anguilla Rums Ltd., Pyrat Rum has been in business since 1989 when it was founded by John Paul DeJoria. Pyrat doesn’t distill their own rums, instead sourcing quality batches of rum from small and large distributors, blending according to the distinctive flavor that sets Pyrat apart.
Pyrat has established a trusted list of rum makers from around the Caribbean, Central America, and South America from whom they source their rums. Their blending methods produce a consistent flavor year after year, bottling cycle after bottling cycle, that loyal drinkers know and love.
While Pyrat blends rums aged between two and sixteen years from around the Caribbean and South America, a majority of the rum in Pyrat bottles is distilled by Demerara Distillers, a giant in the liquor industry producing brands like Diamond Rum, El Dorado Rum, Ivanoff Vodka, and Lord Roberts Gin. While Pyrat is owned by Patron, they have recognized the value of partnering with other makers to achieve the perfect blend for their consumers.
Pyrat mixes the Demerara Distillers rum, distilled in high ester stills, with smaller batch rums from their list of small suppliers. Since each growing and distilling season produces a unique flavor profile, Pyrat uses several different rums blended to different proportions, aged for different lengths, to consistently create the same flavor.
Where to Buy Pyrat Rum
Pyrat is a staple at every beach bar and on almost every rum isle. It’s widely available at stores like Costco, Walmart, Kroger (where grocery store liquor sales are legal), as well as liquor stores and corner markets. While it isn’t available everywhere like some brands, it can always be found at CaskCartel.com if you question local availability.
Pyrat Rum Prices
|Pyrat XO Reserve||40% (80 proof)||30ml||$5.00|
|Special Edition Boxes|
|Pyrat XO Reserve: With World Traveler’s Gift Box||35% (70 proof)||750 ml||$35.00|
|Pyrat XO Reserve: Undersea Gift Box||35% (70 proof)||750 ml||$34.00|
|Pyrat XO Reserve: In Wooden Box Display Caseo||35% (70 proof)||750 ml||$65.00|
Pyrat XO Reserve
Pyrat’s one rum is called Pyrat XO Reserve. It’s dark, complex, and has a layer of citrus that has created a loyal following of consumers. This amber colored rum is smooth with strong notes of molasses and vanilla. The flavor, however, is bright, and while it has a strong cane sugar backbone is lightened by citrus: lemon, orange, and zest. The finish lingers with a spiced cinnamon and ginger bite.
Pyrat XO Reserve is known to be complex enough to enjoy alone, as a sipper, or to add depth to traditional rum cocktails. This rum will be one to try if you’re a fan of amber colored rum and would like something with an interesting twist.
The Best Way(s) to Drink Pyrat Rum
Pyrat was designed to be fun and easy, yet complex, to drink. It sips well on the rocks, but it adds depth to both complex cocktails and drinks with a single mixer. Here are some of the best ways to drink Pyrat Rum.
In a Cocktail
1) Pyrat Negroni
- 1 oz PYRAT XO Reserve Rum
- Garnish with orange peel
- 1 oz MARTINI & ROSSI Sweet Vermouth
- 1 oz MARTINI & ROSSI Bitter
Pour liquids into a mixing glass over ice. Stir for 30-40 turns until icy cold. Pour into empty cocktail glass of choice and garnish with an orange twist.
2) Pyrat Trade Winds
- 1 1/2 oz PYRAT XO Reserve Rum
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- 1 oz Orange Juice
- 1/2 oz Banana Liqueur
Pour all ingredients into blender and fill to liquid line with ice. Blend thoroughly and pour into tall cocktail glass. Garnish with pineapple star and cherries.
3) Pyrat Rum Lemon Drop
- 2.5 oz PYRAT XO Reserve Rum
- 1 oz sour mix
- .5 oz simple syrup
Pour all ingredients into cocktail shaker. Shake hard on ice and strain into a coupe or martini glass rimmed with sugar. Garnish with lemon twist.
4) Pyrat Hibiscus Punch
- 1.5 oz PYRAT XO Reserve Rum
- 1 oz hibiscus simple syrup
- 2 oz pineapple juice
- 2 oz orange juice
Pour all ingredients over ice and stir. Garnish with hibiscus petals and an orange wheel.
5 Best Things to Mix with Pyrat Rum
A rum cocktail doesn’t need to be complicated. If you choose a good mixer, one ingredient is all you need to add to your rum for a cocktail with excellent flavor and complexity.
- Coconut Milk: The complexity of Pyrat Rum mixes with coconut milk for a tropical yet healthy dessert cocktail.
- Pineapple Juice: Pineapple juice is a classic rum mixer for a reason. It highlights the tropical notes of the sugarcane based liquor while minimizing the flavor of the alcohol.
- Orange Juice: Orange juice isn’t just for the Screwdriver or Mimosa. Mix it with rum for a beach brunch cocktail.
- Cola: Cola is available at every bar, restaurant, and almost every home, so it’s a win for consistency. And it tastes great with every liquor, making Pyrat and Coke a classic instant cocktail.
- Sour: Because Pyrat is dark and has citrus notes, it mixes flawlessly with this whiskey classic. Pyrat and Sour will provide a tropical twist on the more traditional Whiskey and Sour.
Alternatives to Pyrat Rum
- Bacardi Ocho- $36: Bacardi Ocho is very similar in flavor and price to Pyrat, but it’s a bit more widely available. If you have trouble locating Pyrat near you, Bacardi will be a good, comparable option.
- Bumbu Aged Rum– $42: Bumbu’s aged rum is a bit more niche, but comes in at a similar price point and is aged about the same number of years as Pyrat. If you try Pyrat and like it, you’ll like this as well.
- Deadhead Dark Rum- $50: Deadhead Dark Rum is a bit more stout than Pyrat. It’s a good next step if you find that you enjoy Pyrat in a cocktail, as Deadhead will also provide a nice complexity to a mixed beverage. And the bottle is a grade A collector’s item.
- Bayou Rum XO- $80: In the world of rum, XO means “Extra Old”, and Bayou is a prime example of this style. If the Pyrat’s style speaks to you, consider this top shelf option.
- Ron Zacapa XO- $130: Ron Zacapa’s XO is also aged to perfection, but it’s for the truly special occasion. It’s the perfect celebratory option for XO drinkers.