About Ketel One Vodka
Vodka’s history runs deep through all of Europe, with several centuries-old vodka brands and distilleries still proudly operating today. Let’s explore one of the most pivotal and popular historic vodka brands: Ketel One Vodka.
History of Ketel One Vodka
Ketel One dates all the way back to the 17th century in the Netherlands. Ketel One’s founding family, the Nolet family, chose Schiedam, Netherlands to produce their first vodka recipe using a copper pot still and charcoal filtration techniques for a brightly flavored, smooth wheat vodka that quickly gained in popularity and began a thriving spirits industry in the town of Schiedam.
The vodka eventually came to be named for the original copper pot still (Distileerketel #1), and by the late 18th century Ketel One began its outward expansion via exports. Within the next 100 years, Ketel One was looking into foreign direct investment as expansion opportunities into the New World presented themselves. They set up a distillery in New York and used the same techniques they employed in the Netherlands there.
But shortly after opening their first United States distillery, the business was shuttered by prohibition as the Nolet family fled back to the Netherlands. Ketel One’s home distillery in Schiedam was hit hard by WWII, but they survived thanks to their strong heritage and loyal consumer base.
For decades, Ketel One was forced to focus on rebuilding after war and recession derailed most liquor producers. Ketel One made its return into the United States in the 1980’s, and have since focused on expansion rather than rebuilding, making tailored vodkas that meet modern needs.
Where to Buy Ketel One Vodka
Ketel One is a widely available top shelf vodka, so it’s easy to locate and almost always available to purchase. If you check your local liquor retailer (i.e. Costco, Walmart, and a local liquor store), stock is almost guaranteed. To verify local stock of your preferred style of Ketel One, check drizly.com using your zip code.
Ketel One Vodka Prices
|Original Wheat Vodka|
|Ketel One Vodka||40% (80 proof)||50ml||$1.60|
|Ketel One Vodka- 325th Anniversary Bottling||40% (80 proof)||50ml||$1.60|
|Ketel One Citroen||40% (80 proof)||50ml||$1.60|
|Ketel One Oranje||40% (80 proof)||50ml||$1.60|
|Ketel One Botanical Peach and Orange Blossom||30% (60 proof)||50ml||$2.20|
|Ketel One Botanical Cucumber and Mint||30% (60 proof)||50ml||$2.20|
|Ketel One Botanical Grapefruit and Rose||30% (60 proof)||50ml||$2.20|
|Ketel One Spritz|
|Ketel One Spritz Peach and Orange Blossom||3.6%||4×12 oz||$12.00|
|Ketel One Spritz Cucumber and Mint||3.6%||4×12 oz||$12.00|
|Ketel One Spritz Grapefruit and Rose||3.6%||4×12 oz||$12.00|
Ketel One Vodka Buying Guide
Ketel One is one of the best names in vodka, and they have four ranges to choose from: original wheat vodka, botanically infused vodka, vodka spritzers, and flavored vodka. Here is a brief breakdown of each line to help you make an educated purchasing decision.
Ketel One’s original recipe is distilled from Dutch wheat in a copper pot still using coal filtration. This method produces a bright, citrus flavor and a butter-smooth mouthfeel. This unexpected vodka flavor experience is in large part what has made Ketel One the success that it is. If you like regular, unflavored vodkas and enjoy a smooth feel with a bright flavor, this one’s for you.
Ketel One’s flavored lineup includes Ketel One Citroen and Ketel One Oranje. Citroen has a lemon citrus flavor while Oranje tastes distinctly of orange. These vodkas are traditional flavors, meant to build specialty cocktails that call for a flavored lemon or orange vodka.
Ketel One’s botanical infusions capture remarkably unique flavors. Unlike regular flavored vodkas, they contain no carbs or sugar and have low calorie content. Rather than offering a sweet, punchy flavor, they harness a delicate infusion of complex flavors derived from all natural ingredients.
These ready-to-drink cocktail spritzers essentially contain the Ketel One Botanicals mixed with soda water for a pre-mixed drink available in a can. These have a low alcohol content, complex yet delicate flavors, and Ketel One’s original vodka recipe as the alcohol base, making them ideal for effortless sipping and BYOB situations.
The Best Way(s) to Drink Ketel One
Ketel One is delicious to both cocktail drinkers and straight vodka enthusiasts thanks to its versatile recipe. Here are some of the best ways to enjoy Ketel One mixed.
Ketel One Cocktails
1) The Ultimate Dirty Martini
- 1.5 oz. Ketel One® Vodka
- 1 oz. olive brine
- 1 whole blue cheese stuffed olive
Shake with ice in a cocktail shaker. Serve straight up in a martini glass. Garnish with a blue cheese stuffed olive.
2) Cucumber Mule
- 1.5 oz. Ketel One Citroen® Flavored Vodka
- .75 oz. fresh lime juice
- 3 cucumber slices (skinless)
- Ginger beer
Muddle cucumber in the bottom of mixing glass. Add Ketel One Citroen and lime juice and shake with ice. Strain into a copper mug filled with ice. Top with ginger beer. Garnish with a cucumber slice.
3) Ketel Soda with Grapefruit Thyme
- 1.5 oz Ketel One Vodka
- 3 oz Club Soda
- 1-2 wedges of sliced grapefruit
- Sprig of thyme
Build in a Collins glass over ice. Add grapefruit wedges. Add 1.5 oz Ketel One Vodka. Top with 3 oz club soda. Garnish with a grapefruit wedge and a sprig of thyme.
4) Oranje Smash
- 1.5 oz. Ketel One Oranje® Flavored Vodka
- 0.25 oz. agave nectar
- 1 oz. fresh lemon juice
- 0.5 oz. simple syrup
- 2 slices navel oranges
- 1 dash orange bitters
Muddle oranges and agave nectar in the bottom of a mixing glass. Add remaining ingredients and shake with ice. Roll into a Collins glass. Garnish with a dehydrated orange slice.
5 Best Things to Mix with Ketel One
Ketel One has a smooth, delicious taste of its own, making it perfect for simple single mixer drinks. Here are the 5 best.
- Ketel One and Soda: Ketel One’s infusions are perfect soda water liquors thanks to their complex infused flavors. A splash of soda turns these vodka pours into something that tastes complex and intriguing.
- Cranberry Juice: Ketel One is frequently ordered with cranberry juice because it compliments the tart flavor of Ketel One’s copper distilled vodka.
- Orange Juice: Orange juice is a favorite with Ketel One. The citrus flavor combines well with both Ketel One Citroen and Ketel One Oranje.
- Tonic: Tonic is famous for mixing with gin, but because Ketel One has notes similar to many gins it’s a perfect tonic combination.
- Ginger beer: Ginger beer and vodka make up ⅔ the ingredients of a moscow mule. If you’re in a pinch without a lime, this combination can still hit the spot.
Alternatives to Ciroc Vodka
- New Amsterdam Vodka: $14- Not to be confused with Amsterdam, Netherlands, New Amsterdam is an affordable, yet trendy, American vodka.
- Kopper Garden Vodka: $18- This vodka is extraordinarily similar to Ketel One. It’s not available everywhere, but if you love Ketel One you’ll also love this treasure for its Dutch roots and copper pot distillation.
- Grey Goose Vodka: $25- Grey Goose, like Ketel One, is a top shelf vodka made from wheat. But this one is produced in France rather than The Netherlands, and has a certain brandy je ne sais quois.
- Belvedere Vodka: $26– Belvedere is another top shelf vodka, and it’s produced in Poland. This historically Polish approach to vodka has a soft feel like Ketel One, but also has a soft flavor in contrast to Ketel One’s bright citrus notes.
- Ciroc Vodka: $35– This super top shelf vodka is also from France, and instead of grain is distilled from grapes, hence the higher price tag.